Text-based RSS/Atom feed readers?

Does anyone have suggestions for a text-based RSS/Atom feed reader? So far, I’ve found these resources:

Emacs-based:

Terminal based:

Are you just trying to display the news on the command line / console or are you going to use the data in some other way? I have been looking to to this but wanting to do RSS to JSON and found this resource:

hope this helps.

-Tony

1 Like

I’m trying to get rid of heavy GUI apps and speed things up by having keybindings for everything. I was using Thunderbird as an RSS reader, but it doesn’t work very well for that purpose. I moved my feeds to Liferea and opened it this morning to check the news – there are almost 400 unread items. The more things on my computer that I can manage with plain text, the easier it will be to write script things that help manage the information overload.

Example: the Hacker News RSS feed doesn’t show any information other than a link to the comments. It would be ideal if a script would fetch the content (with lynx --dump or headless Firefox) and display it right in the RSS reader. Here’s an example of what I see in Liferea – just the title and a link to “Comments”:

I want to have a keybinding to load something skimmable like this instead:

Sorting the information by keywords would also be useful. Depending on the day, I might want a different set of keywords: “read about current events”, “read tech news”, “read programming articles”, “check Esperanto podcasts”. If the RSS reader is written in Emacs Lisp, JavaScript, or is scriptable in some way, then it should be easy to add new features like that.

I’ll check out that rss2json script. I also found the npm package below that converts RSS/Atom feeds into JS objects:

You can try one of the multiple programs that convert feeds to email.

• rss2email (Python)

• tuxfeeder (my own entry - use at your own risk!)

• there is at least one Ruby-based entry whose name I forget

1 Like

If I can set up a better email system, maybe I’ll look into that. Gmail’s web interface is not good. Thunderbird filters aren’t working well for me, because I have to click through dozens of folders. There are a few things that weren’t working for me in mutt and I was having trouble compiling neomutt. I’m going to try notmuch and Emacs next to see if that might help with email management. I think I need custom keybindings for filtering and common tasks.